What is great about the Internet is that it can be used for a variety of purposes. People connect to the Internet to browse millions of different sites, but overall some types of sites are more popular than others.
-The most popular websites are search engines. They allow us to find what we are looking for. They will probably remain to be the most popular for quite some time.
-Many people like visiting social websites that offer interaction between people. This includes chat websites and social networking websites.
-Sites that allow us to downloading files can be useful. A good example are sites dedicated to Rapidshare.
-Web portals offering news are something that most people visit. Reading news on such websites does not cost anything and that is why so many people like doing it.
-Websites hosting various games are also popular. They allow players to be entertained and to have some fun.
-Sites featuring useful information in a form of articles or videos are also being visited by many people.
If you plan on having many visitors to your blog, then you should definitely enable search on your website. If your blogging platform does not offer this feature by default, you may want to add a widget that will be able to do so. You can add such a search option by registering yourself at Technorati and claiming your blog there. I think that allowing search on your blog is especially important if your blog has many posts and otherwise it would be difficult for your readers to find specific articles. Adding various categories may help your readers to find relevant articles; however, the best way to find a specific post is by using a search tool.
Even though WordPress is so popular, there are still millions of blogs that are hosted on blogger. Not everyone knows this, but Blogger has an interesting feature called ‘Blogger Play’. Basically, it is a site where you can see a slideshow of images that were just uploaded to public Blogger blogs. You can click the image to be taken directly to the blog post it was uploaded to, or click rather click on ‘show info’ to see an overlay with the post title, a snippet of the body, and some profile information about the blogger who uploaded it. What is interesting about this site that it really shows a big diversity when it comes to the topics that bloggers blog about. This is one of the most fun features of Blogger.
What many bloggers are wondering about is whether it is a good idea to implement many images on a blog. Overall, it seems that incorporating images in some posts can make a blog look more appealing. Nonetheless, it is important that there should not be too many posts as images can slow down the loading on a website. There has to be a balance and it is up to the webmaster to decide how many multimedia elements to implement.
As a webmaster it is easy to be carried away and start adding many elements to our websites. No wonder that after some time we might have so many unnecessary elements on our homepage, that our site will load significantly slower because of this. If that happens, it means that we should do something about it. Let us take a look at a few things that we do not really need:
• Badges of blog directories and top sites can create a clutter, but often do not provide a real benefit. Try not to have more than a few badges or even try to remove them completely. Do it especially if you are not required to put them in the first place. There are some directories that will not ask you to put a link to them, or will never ask you to put their badge on your blog. You may want to stay listed in such directories. Keep that in mind that having too many badges will make your site load slower.
• WordPress blogs can remove the meta data that contains the admin links. It does not benefit the readers at all.
• Calendars are only useful on some blogs, where the timing of posts is very important. If in case of your blog it is not that important, then do not bother to have a calendar on your blog. It will only slow your website down.
There can be a lot of problems with computers, and one of them is the case of your computer not switching on at all. There can be multiple possible reasons behind this problem, and I am going to list a few of them. Some of them are even too obvious for people to realize that this might be the problem:
• Did you make sure that you pressed all of the power switches “On” or “1”, so that your computer is receiving power in the first place.
• Is your computer’s power supply working?
• Your computer might have been overheating, and your CPU or other components might be damaged.
• Some of the cables might be loose.
Blogs are often referred to as online journals, and so many people tend to blog a lot about themselves. Is it a good or a bad thing? Before you start blogging, I think it is important to decide what your target audience will be. Do you plan to blog for your family and friends? If that is the case they will probably appreciate the fact that you write a lot about yourself, and might even expect you to do so. But what if you plan that your blog will be interesting to visitors from all over the world? First of all, since they do not know you really well they might not be interested that much in your personal life. Many bloggers make a mistake blogging about themselves too much, because they assume that everyone is interested in them. Very often that is not the case. Visitors are often more interested in the content of the site, rather then the author. I suggest deciding what your target audience is and blogging accordingly. Generally, if you want to blog to a larger audience, you may wish to write less about yourself, but more about the topic of your blog. Naturally, celebrities are in a different situation.
An interesting way to make visitors click more on your ads is to limit their choices. While it may not sound very well if you hear about this idea for the first time, it isn’t actually that bad after all. The principle behind this it is that you should try to create the most logical exit points aside from the back button. A visitor has to exit the website at some point, so you should try to make him click on ads to exit the site. Some people recommend removing links to other sites from your webpage and this also includes widgets or any other banners that are not ads. You can also go to the extreme and remove your categories, RSS feed link, recent posts and date archive to even further reduce the users choices. This strategy has a lot of potential, but your blog might suffer from it, as you will be getting rid of some essential parts of your website. On the other hand, you should not be worried that your blog is going to look empty once you remove almost all the widgets and links from it. I wouldn’t be worried about that. Your blog will load faster that way and your readers will be able to concentrate more on the content and on the ads.
It is not easy to be a blogger and be able to write dozens of interesting articles each month. Some believe that there are three personalities that can help you be a good writer. You have to have each personality at least in part to achieve success as a blogger. Here they are:
• Planner personality. It is crucial to do research about the subject you wish to write about. It is important to be a good planner. Before you write a post make sure you plan what it will be about. The longer the article, the more time it will take to plan it properly, so take that into consideration.
• Creator personality. Once you plan what you want to write about, creativity allows you to write it in an attractive way. Creativity is perhaps the most important requirement, and it is also something which is quite hard to acquire. However, you can excel at everything if you practice a lot.
• Editor personality. Editorials skills are needed as well, because a post with many mistakes is not going to look professional. This also includes proper formatting and images in some cases. Choosing the right font style, font size, and aligning text are also something that a good editor will know how to do.
Do you think that you have the above qualities? You do not have to be an expert in all of them, but it is important to remember that these personalities will help you be a good writer.
There are quite a few ways to monetize a blog. One way is by being an affiliate advertiser. Another good way to monetize a blog is to integrate ads. However, before you implement them, first you need to let advertisers to know that you are willing to advertise their products on your blog. Here is how you can do it:
1. Have a banner on your blog saying “Your ad here” or something similar. This way you communicate to your visitors that you are interested.
2. Offer some kind of bonuses for your advertisers. It can be like one week for free bonus, or any other that comes to your mind.
3. Consider placing only the ads that are relevant to the topic of your blog. Otherwise your visitors will be confused, and advertisers will make less money, which might cause the advertiser to stop doing business with you.
4. Keep your blog on topic. If you do not, potential advertisers might be too confused, and as a result will not consider advertising on your blog.
5. Display your website stats. If your blog has stats that are satisfactory to your expectations, show them to the public. Remember that you do not need to have very big traffic to make some money from ads. Display such numbers like Alexa rank, or geographical statistics pertaining to your visitors.
6. Have a place on your blog where you store information about yourself. Explain there briefly who you, are and why you are blogging about this particular subject.
7. Show your future advertisers where their ads could possibly appear. You can name this place “ads” or in some other way.
8. Keep your blog on a professional level. Write quality posts relevant to your main topic. This will convince your advertisers that your blog is professional enough to advertise on it.
RSS feeds are a very convenient way to subscribe to a blog. Many bloggers believe that having many RSS subscribers is a sign that people actually appreciate your blog. Of course, that can be a source of personal satisfaction. That is why in addition to working on obtaining new subscribers it is crucial not to lose the current ones. You are going to lose subscribers if they feel like they have sufficient reasons not to visit your blog anymore. Knowing such reasons should help you avoid any mistakes which you could otherwise commit. Here are some reasons why readers unsubscribe:
• Not interesting content. Of course, it is a matter of opinion if the content is interesting or not, but this is one of the main reasons people unsubscribe. This is also one of the hardest problems to fix, as you cannot please everyone at the same time. Usually putting a lot of work into writing your posts will result in interesting content.
• Not posting for long periods of time. If a subscriber suspects that you abandoned your blog, then no wonder that he will be tempted to unsubscribe. Try posting at least once or twice every week. This also depends on the niche, but not posting for a few weeks is a bad sign.
• Often making personal attacks in posts. Many readers would probably feel like in a middle of a fight.
• Lack of sense of community. Make sure that you communicate with your readers and listen to their feedback. This will ensure that they will feel appreciated.